Monday 6 February 2017

Inception

Why not think it over boys and join our incept nation?

So sang Adam Ant many, many years before Christopher Nolan came up with the original idea for Inception. Almost. And I agree with the lunatic king of the wild frontier, why not think it over? But then I do think it over and my head gets all filled up with crazy twisted cityscapes and fruitbat French actresses and I need to have a bit of a lie down.

Leonardo DiCaprio touches his hair a lot. It's either meant to signify something meta in the way kooky mannerisms are used to add layers to characterisation in French New Wave movies, or it's a Leo device for staying in character. The latter, I think, but forgivable. As is Nolan's habit of working with certain stars on a regular basis. I'm happy seeing Cillian Murphy and Marion Cotillard turn up to add their highbrow slant on this acting business and think Joseph Gordon-Levitt does his best work for Nolan.

It's not Nolan-by-Numbers, though. Far from it. It's a mindfuck, layer under layer, special effect thrill ride garnished with a strident score, those near-perfect Tom Hardy features, knowing winks to (literally) labyrinthine mythology such as Ellen Page's character's name and beeyooteefull scenery.

If you've seen it you know what it's about and don't need me to tell you. If you haven't seen it you're a twonk and me telling you about the film won't ever change that. I mean, seriously, it's practically the movie of the century so far when it comes to visual and screenplay innovation and you haven't even bothered to catch up with it yet? I despair, I really do.

Bet you've never even listened to Adam and the Ants either. Philistine.

No comments:

Post a Comment